The Site is not intended for individuals under the age of 18.
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in the following ways:
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfil any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations). Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
- Communicate with you;
- Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud; and
- When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
When you provide it directly
For example, when you:
• enquire about our products
• visit our website
• purchase a product
• sign up to receive updates from us
• create or update a profile
• post content to our website or via our social media (including Facebook)
• meet with us
• communicate with us (either online, by email, phone, SMS or post)
Via social media
Depending on your settings and the relevant policies and terms of service, when using social media and messaging services like Facebook and Twitter, you might give us permission to access information about you from those accounts or services.
When we collect information when you are using our website
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons”, “tags”, and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
Additionally when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers, email address, and phone number. We refer to this information as “Order Information”.
What categories of personal information we collect
The types of personal information we collect depends on how we intend to use it.
We collect, store and use the following kinds of personal information:
• Identity data, including your name, username, date of birth (for example, if you make a purchase from our store).
• Contact data, including your email address, postal address, and phone number (for example, if you sign up to receive updates from us).
• Financial data, including bank or payment card details
• Transaction data, including details of your giving.
• Technical data such as your IP address, when you browse our website.
• Marketing data such as your preferences for receiving communications from us.
• Any other information you provide us as above (see “How we collect personal information”).
How we will use your personal information
We will use your personal information in a number of ways depending on the purposes for which it has been collected, including for the following purposes:
• To provide you with the products you have purchased
• To update you about any changes to our services
• To communicate with you as set out in this policy below (including administrative communications as well as communications about products and services)
• To administer payments
• To administer our website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes.
• To maintain our organisational records and ensure we have your most up-to-date details, including marketing preferences
• To help us improve our services, campaigns or information-offering, and improve your interactions with our website (including via cookies)
• To enable you to participate in interactive features on our website
• To enable you to participate in voluntary surveys or research
• To analyse our website behaviour
• To tailor advertising that is presented to you on the internet according to your interests, preferences and other characteristics, and to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you
• To deal with enquiries and/or complaints made by or about you
• To audit and/or administer our accounts
• To help us work with third parties to ensure that we send you targeted communications (see “What categories of personal information do we collect?” above)
Communicating with you
We will communicate with you using the contact details you have provided for essential administrative purposes, such as to administer a donation or provide you with information regarding a fundraising event you have asked to take part in.
We love to keep our customers up to date with our products, marketing and campaign activity.
If you have given us your consent to do so, we will contact you for marketing purposes by email, SMS message and telephone calls. We may also send you communications by post, on the basis it is in our legitimate interests to do so, unless you ask us not to.
We participate in Facebook’s audience matching program which enables us to display ads to our existing supporters when they visit Facebook. We provide your email address, mobile number and address, to Facebook so they can determine whether you are a registered account holder with them. Our adverts may then appear when you access Facebook. Your data is sent in an encrypted format that is deleted by Facebook if it does not match with a Facebook account.
We may also use your data to create ‘lookalike’ audiences on Facebook. This means that Facebook will match interests, behaviour and demographics of Sonata Systems Ltd Trading as Sonata HiFi to identify other Facebook users who closely match their interests. Facebook will then service adverts to these people promoting our products. Using this method is the most efficient way for us to reach more people who are likely to take an interest in our work, meaning we use our funds most effectively.
We sometimes share your data information with our media partner agencies who may also share email addresses with Facebook on our behalf.
We also participate in Facebook’s audience preference services. This remembers supporters who have responded in the past to Sonata HiFi marketing requests. To prevent this use of your data, you can either update your preferences by opting out of the relevant channel of communication or you can do this via the social media site:
We only do this where you have opted in to receive marketing communications from us. No data we hold about you is retained by the third party.
'Cookies' are small pieces of information stored on your computer or mobile device when you visit our website, to collect information and identify you. Read our cookies policy.
How we keep your data safe and who has access to it
We place great importance on the security of your personal information and always take appropriate precautions to protect it.
We ensure that there are security measures in place to protect your personal data. For example, we use encryption technology on our websites and carry out regular security reviews on our network.
We only allow authorized personnel to have access to your information i.e. Sonata Systems Ltd trading as Sonata HiFi staff, suppliers and ensure that they are appropriately trained.
Payment details (such as credit or debit cards) we receive through our website are passed securely to our payment processing providers who meet the required Payment Card Industry (PCI) Security Standards. We do not store your card details.
Despite all of our precautions no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Who we share your personal data with
Sometimes, we use external organisations to process personal data on our behalf – for example suppliers and subcontractors, payment providers, mailing houses, legacy administrators and external fundraising entities and platforms.
Financial or technical considerations may occasionally lead us to use the services of a supplier based outside the European Economic Area (EEA), which in turn might lead to your personal information being transferred, processed and stored outside of the EEA. Where necessary, we take steps to provide suitable safeguards to protect your personal information, so that these transfers are compliant with data protection laws.
We might need to share your personal information with others if we are under a duty to do so or to comply with a legal obligation, or in order to protect the rights, property or safety of Sonata Systems Ltd trading as Sonata HiFi, our employees or others. This includes for example sharing details with the police or for regulatory reasons.
We share your Personal Information with third parties to help us use your Personal Information, as described above. For example we use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site -- you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Finally, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
As described above, we use your Personal Information to provide you with targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest to you. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by using the links below:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
- Google: https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
- Bing: https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
How we keep your information up-to-date
Where possible, we try to keep your records up to date. However, we really appreciate it if you let us know if your contact details change.
How long we keep your information for
For some information we hold, there are legal requirements which determine how long we must keep it.
Generally, we hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity,
Our legal basis for processing your information
Data privacy law requires us to have one or more lawful grounds to process your personal information. The following grounds are relevant to our use of your information:
• Consent. In many cases we will seek consent to process your personal information, for example to send you marketing emails, and text messages. Where we do rely on consent, you are entitled to withdraw it at any time.
• Where we have a contractual relationship with you. If we enter into a contract with you (such as when you purchase something from our shop) we will process information to administer that contract.
• Legal obligations. We will sometimes pass on personal information to comply with legal obligations.
• “Legitimate Interests”. Where it is appropriate we rely on the processing being in our legitimate interests, provided we are confident that such processing is not likely to override your own legitimate interests or rights and freedoms. For example, sending you marketing post, provided this is done in an unobtrusive manner.
If you are a European resident, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us through the contact information below.
Additionally, if you are a European resident we note that we are processing your information in order to fulfil contracts we might have with you (for example if you make an order through the Site), or otherwise to pursue our legitimate business interests listed above. Additionally, please note that your information will be transferred outside of Europe, including to Canada and the United States.
You retain ultimate control of how we use your personal information.
You can always request details and copies of the information we hold about you.
Data privacy law gives you a number of additional rights. These include:
• The right to rectification: To have personal information amended if it is inaccurate or incomplete. You can ask us to check the personal data that we hold about you if you are unsure.
• The right to erasure: In some cases, to have your personal information erased (or anonymised), including when consent is withdrawn, your information is being unlawfully processed or it is no longer necessary for us to process it.
• The right to data portability. Where we are processing your information on the basis of consent you can request it to be transferred from one service provider to another in a suitable format.
• The right to object. You can ask us to stop processing your personal information in certain circumstances, including an absolute right to ask us to stop processing for direct marketing.
• The right to restrict processing. If there is any disagreement about the accuracy or legitimate usage of your personal information, you can ask us to “hold” it but not use it further, whilst the issue is resolved.
• You also have rights in relation to “automated decision making”. Sonata Systems Ltd trading as Sonata HiFi does not currently undertake this activity, which involves complex computerised processes which produce legal effects.
If you want to enforce any of these rights in respect to your personal information, please contact: email@example.com
Please be aware that the above descriptions are necessarily brief and non-legal. You may only exercise some of these rights in limited circumstances.
If you would like to make a complaint about how we process your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
You are entitled to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office at any time. However, we are grateful for the opportunity to address your concerns before you feel this step is necessary.
Please note that you can also register with the following services to stop receiving unsolicited marketing communications from a selected charity or charities:
• The Mail Preference Service (MPS), in relation to postal communications.
• The Telephone Preference Service (TPS), in relation to phone calls.
This policy may change from time to time. If we make any significant changes to this policy, we will publicise these changes clearly on our website or contact you directly with more information.
Please revisit this policy each time you consider giving your personal information to spacechem.com.
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e‑mail at email@example.com or by mail using the details provided below:
[Re: Privacy Compliance Officer]
Christchurch Court, Willesden Lane, London NW6 7XF